Wednesday, August 18, 2010

[Important]How they steal your GMail password

Surprise! Surprise! Gmail team sent me an email to verify my user name and password. They are moving the databases and I about to loose my email id. In order to save it I need to go to the link they provided and put my username and password. Don't! Someone is trying to hack my GMail my password. If you receive similar email ignore it, delete it and delete it from the trash. I will show you how to identify genuine emails out of the fake.

You don't have to be a computer guru to check a whether a email is genuine or fake.

If email ask you to provide the

Bank Account / Credit Card Details 
Login Details (Email/Netbank) 
Any personal details 

99% it is trying to hack your bank account or emails address.

First check the senders email address

In Gmail you need to click on show details link to see the senders email address. In this case email address is "mailserver.team1@gmail.com" which sounds like Gmail team is sending the email.
I have already covered some basic ways that Outlook can be used to disguise your email address. So, you cannot depend on the senders email address all the time.

Then go to the content. In this scenario, they have provide me a link to click on and put my user name and password. Don't click the link but you can check the link by just moving the mouse pointer to the link. Almost all the browsers display the link at the bottom of your browser.
Or you can right click and copy the link and paste it in note pad(It is Safe).

Bingo!!!

Link is not going to Gmail but mailserver.my3gb.com which is a free website hosting company. Why Google has to use a free web hosting company. I will not bother to visit the link. I will delete the email and also remove it from the archive box.

Always remember to check couple of times if an email ask you to provide bank details or user name and passwords.

Forum Discussions I have got a mail saying we are moving our server and a link given by Gmail Team? Is it True or Fake? Plz suggest.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin