Tuesday, January 19, 2010

4 Common Mistakes you do when getting help over the phone

It is not easy to fix computer and internet related problems over the phone. You might have already gone through hard times trying to get help over the phone. I would like to go through some common mistakes you do when you trying to get help over the phone. Next time you can avoid them and get fix your problem easily.

1. Not having a basic understanding about the problem

Before you call out for help ask couple of simple question yourself.
What is the issue? My new printer dose not prints when I try to print a document.
When it gives me the issue? Every time I try to print a document
What are the error messages? There is not error message I can think of.
What equipment I am trying to use? Computer that runs Windows XP and XXXX Printer Model 0000X.
What you have already tried to solve the issue? Check the power and data cables connected properly.

This is only sample set of question but you can note down anything that you think is relevant to the issue. You do not require a technical knowledge for this.

2. Not describing the issue properly

Person at the other end cannot see your problem. You need to describe all the information you have gathered. However, remember to corporate with tech helper as they might have their own procedures to collect information. Do not tell them that what you think the solutions would be. For example, you might think that virus may cause your printer to give problems. However, you should not mention it as a solution but can give it as a fact. Appropriate way to inform it is as follows. I have detected a virus couple of days ago and I installed a XYZ antivirus.

3. Dose not likes to go through possible solutions and testings

Most of the cases tech help needed to try couple of simple tests in order to have a better idea about the problem. Sometimes they may look stupid to you. Restart the equipments, close all the running programs, uninstall and reinstall the program are some of them. That is simply to isolate the problem and to create a better starting point.

In addition, you might have to go through the steps you have already done and failed. Nevertheless, I would suggest you to follow what exactly they ask you to do in order to solve the problem.

4. Misunderstand the instructions

Another common mistake we do is to misunderstand the instruction given by tech help. Person on the other end dose not see what actions you are taking and what the result are. I use a simple trick. Before each step, describe three things to the tech help.

Where am I – I am on the ABC Installation screen.
Action I am taking – Select the Option A and click OK button
Where I went – Gives me the error message ABC cannot be connect to XYZ

If you try to avoid these mistakes, it will be much easier to get more help out of the tech support over the phone.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin